There is little doubt that tankless water heaters can reduce the energy bill of a typical family, however, this system costs more initially and serves one discharge point at a time. If someone is having a shower, don’t bother trying to wash the dishes.
Pros and cons of “going tankless”
Tankless water heaters in Salinas CA have numerous advantages, they are more energy efficient which translates to lower operating costs, they are smaller hence they save space and they last longer. On the other hand, they cost more initially to both purchase and install and the output of hot water is limited. Let’s look at these issues in more detail:
- Operating costs: Tankless water heaters in Salinas CA cost more up front, however, the long term operating costs usually more than make up for it. The savings come from the fact that you do not have to keep the water in a tank hot, ready for use; tankless water heaters only provide hot water when there is a call for it.
- Lifespan: Depending on how well they are maintained, a tank type water heater rarely lasts more than 10 to 12 years; tankless water heaters can easily last 20 years.
- Space savings: One of the biggest advantages for many people is the savings in space. A 40 to 60 gallon tank type water heater is at least five feet tall and two feet in diameter; this is a lot of real estate in a home with limited space. A tankless water heater is not much larger than a typical desk type PC.
- Output: With a 40 plus gallon tank chances of running out of hot water are remote, even when you are doing the laundry and someone is taking a shower. Tankless water heaters in Salinas have limited capacity, if there are multiple demands for hot water there can be a shortfall.
- Cost: A tank type water heater costs approximately $400 although they can go higher. A tankless water heater starts at $1,000 and goes up from there.
Once you have decided the type of water heater best suited for you and your family’s needs make sure you get a firm price for installation, it can cost more than installing a tank type.